Data Tools provides a time saving bulk import tool for Lightspeed Retail Cloud. Importing new and updated customers to Lightspeed Retail is a fairly simple process with Data Tools.
You will be importing directly to your active Lightspeed Retail database. Using Data Tools can save significant time when used effectively. Checking your files for accuracy is extremely important.
- Imports are permanent. There is no 'undo'.
- There is no backup available.
- Check your data multiple times before importing!
You will need the Data Tools Customer Template to import any new customers. This template is your guide for arranging your data for import. You can open this template in a spreadsheet editor like Microsoft Excel, Apple Numbers, or Google Sheets.
Once you have the template open in a spreadsheet editor cut and paste your data into the correct columns.
Note: Adding, removing, or shifting columns will cause import errors and may lead to data corruption.
If you're working with a mix of new and existing customer data the "Customer Matching Field" lets you select which field will be used for matching to existing customers:
- Email Address
Update Matching Customers
- When set to “ON”, Data Tools will update existing customers when a match with the selected field is found between your import file and customer data in Lightspeed.
- When set to “OFF” each record in your import file will be imported as a new Customer.
The template includes three columns for additional customer data. All three are optional and do not need to be filled out with any data.
- Custom - You may import details into the "Custom" text field.
- Notes - You may add to the Customer Notes.
- Customer Type - You may also create and assign customer types.
We recommend a few best practices when working with Customer Data for Import:
- Create your Sales Taxes before import
- Assign a default Sales Tax within Shop Settings before import
- Create your Discounts before import