In Magento 2 the URL key of a Product or Category is where your Product or Category is located on your site. Magento 2 URL-keys are generated by Magento 2 automatically based on the Name of the Magento 2 Product or Category when it is created. They can also be changed manually within Magento 2.
When URL Keys are generated by Magento 2 spaces and special characters are replaced by hyphens, with multiple consecutive hyphens reduced to just one.
- Product Name: Example Product & URL Key
- Expected URL Key: example-product-url-key
URL Key errors can be returned by Magento when a product or category is being created/updated and it's Name / Category Name generates a URL Key that Magento 2 has already assigned to another product.
The most common causes we see for this issue include:
- Multiple Product or Category Names that are only different due to special characters or spaces.
- Product or Category Names which are changed in Magento 2 but not in POS.
- Multiple SKUs or Categories with duplicate names in POS
The most common solution to this error is to manually update the Product or Category Names in both POS and Magento 2 to ensure they match. This may also require manually updating the URL Key of the Product or Category in Magento 2 to ensure it aligns with the current Name.
Other factors which may cause this error that may need attention include:
- Special Characters
- Leading or Trailing Spaces
- Multiple Spaces within the field such as, "Example Name" instead of "Example Name"
For Categories, you may also want to review for similar Category names to ensure that they do not contain:
- Leading or Trailing Spaces, IE: " Hats" and "Hats"
- Special Characters, IE: "Accessories & Hats" and "Accessories - Hats".
- Multiple Spaces within the field such as, "Womens Clothing" instead of "Womens Clothing"
Important: In most Point of Sale solutions it is critical not to delete or merge data. If you're not sure how to properly update your data please contact our Support Team.