Data Tools makes it possible to import changes directly to Lightspeed in bulk via CSV. This is a powerful tool. Our team has put together some tips and important reminders to protect your data and time.
- Imports are made directly to your active Lightspeed Retail account.
- Imports are permanent.
- Updated data you import replaces the data in Lightspeed.
- Check your data multiple times before importing!
- Lightspeed's API is rate limited. There is a 'speed limit' for how quickly data can be changed. Imports with thousands of rows often take up to a day to be processed.
- Run a export of your data.
- Save a copy of the export as a backup.
- Exports can be used as an import template.
API Imports require the full import template. If any cells or columns were deleted your data may have shifted and cause data corruption on import.
- All columns and headers from the template must be intact.
- Most import types have their own specific requirements.
- Import files must be in CSV format.
- We urge you to perform and validate a small test import of 2-3 rows before performing a large import.
- The email address associated to the account will receive an email when the import is complete.
In addition to the above we recommend the following best practices when working creating import files:
- Remove Archived rows. Archived data cannot be updated via the API and will result in a duplicate.
- Avoid special characters. These include characters like accents, # ^ / & *, and leading or trailing commas. Importing special characters can lead to Lightspeed API errors.
- Limit the size of import files. We recommend keeping imports under 5000 lines and strongly advise against imports with 10000 or more lines.
- When saving CSV files with large numbers ensure the number is saved in the correct format. Saving large numbers in CSV can sometimes convert the number to scientific notation and cause data loss in your file.
- Errors in a post-import summary are typically by line. In short, the rest of the file is usually imported without issue.
- When in doubt, check with our Support Team!